Monday, October 22, 2012

Tailgate Treats

Happy Monday, happies! I hope you had a fabulous weekend! I had so much fun in Clemson with friends I haven't seen in years. Plus, my tigers won!

Every week (before a home game), I start to plan out what I am bringing to the tailgate pretty early. This recipe is always on the menu; I posted about it here, but sausage balls warrant another mention. They're just that good.

I feel like I speak many truths here (let's hear it for platform heels!), but if you only remember one, make it this: you will never go wrong when combining sausage, cheese, and Bisquick.

This recipe usually makes about four dozen golf ball-sized sausage balls. How many actually make it into the bowl for the tailgate is another story.

Yummy, cheesy, crispiness.

Sausage Balls (adapted from here)
1 pound bulk sausage (I use Jimmy Dean Hot)
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar (you could also sub out 1/2 cup parmesan cheese for 1/2 of the cheddar)
3 cups Bisquick (you could use about 2 1/2 cups if you want it less Bisquick-y, more cheesy/sausage-y...hey, I won't judge)
1/4 cup milk (I've used water in a pinch, and it works just fine)
A couple shakes of paprika

Pre-heat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Roll golf-ball sized (maybe smaller) balls and place about two inches apart on a non-stick baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. I usually have a few pans in the oven at a time, so about 10 minutes in, I switch the pans so that they have equal time on the top and bottom shelves. Because I'm a culinary mastermind like that.

These things are crazy delicious and make for a yummy poppable bite on a special occasion. Don't go eating them for breakfast every day, but for a tailgate? Perfect every time.

xoxo,

E

No comments:

Post a Comment