Thursday, April 24, 2014

Upcycled Candle Jars

I was digging through a box of old stuff (you know, those ones that never get unpacked no longer how long you live somewhere?) and found a bag of old candle jars. Each one had about an eighth of and inch of wax at the bottom, nowhere near enough to burn any of them again. The jars had been so pretty I couldn't bear to throw them away. I know, I'm a packrat/hoarder/whatever you want to call me. I just can't bring myself to throw out pretty things!

How could you throw out this beauty?

I've searched for a good way to clean the wax out of used candles and found the best way is also the easiest. Just pour boiling water into your candle jar, and the leftover wax will melt and float to the top! Let it re-solidify and then just scoop it out with a spoon. I run some hot water to get the clingy leftover wax out and put it through the dishwasher to get it really clean.

Bringing some much needed glam to frequently used kitchen utensils.

The only challenge I still have is getting the little metal disk that anchored the wick off the bottom. Sometimes it comes right off, and sometimes it's there to stay. Any pointers?

This hobnail honey corrals nail files, perfumes, tweezers, etc.
PS: My obsession with hobnail has been documented. Milk glass is only thing that makes hobnail better.
PPS: Do you like my coral "frame"? Make one!

I love having these beautiful containers around my apartment! So glad I didn't toss them! Hooray for hoarders!

Hey, you! Tomorrow's Friday!

xoxo,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment