Sunday, March 16, 2014

Follow Your Arrow

One of my favorite reads, A Cup of Jo, recently lead me to this incredibly interesting read. It's an article about a mother who, in an attempt to bring culture and worldly perspective to her children's lives, moved her family to Paris for a year. Since the French seemed to have the market cornered when it comes to doing, well, everything right, she thought she would come back to the States with little citizens of the world, cured of all their obnoxious American ways.

As someone who doesn't have any human children, I was surprised by how much the article resonated with me. Lately, I've been reevaluating where I am, geographically, professionally, personally. I've been looking within and without for my next step, wondering where I should go next in pursuit of the life I want for myself. Gosh, crafting the life you want for yourself is a lot of pressure! Following your passion and finding the next "right" thing is hard! I sometimes wish for a crystal ball that I could look to in order to know that, five, ten, fifteen years down the road, I will have made the right decisions and ended up where I wanted to be.



The moral of this article seems to be that we are all making it up as we go along. The old adage to focus on the journey, not the destination should be changed to focus on the journey because that's all there is. Maybe there is no destination. The only destination is the one we reach when we stop journeying. We just have goals in mind that we try to align our actions with.
F. Scott Fitzgerald 

So, I guess this is all to say that if you are feeling the need to make a move but are not quite sure where to...I feel ya. I find that every few years I start to feel the need to do something else. I'm hoping someday I'll settle into something that makes me want to stick around awhile, but I'm not sure I've found that thing yet. Does anyone else get the itch to move on like that?

Lots of big picture thinking going on around here lately! I hope you have a wonderful Monday and don't forget to follow your arrow :) 

xoxo,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment