Friday, April 11, 2014

Blackout Poetry

As an English teacher and lover of words and writing in general, I find a peculiar joy in thinking of or discovering interesting turns of phrase, but I don't consider myself much of a poet. I have loved reading poetry since high school/college and experience it in the same way a lot of people experience church: soothing, soul-feeding, energizing, inspiring. I like to linger over lines and specific word choices, usually in awe that a human brain can think of something so crushing or uplifting or true.

9
Can you think of a more beautiful way to say that someone is important?

When I found this blackout poetry, I felt like my inner, underdeveloped poet might have hope! The words already exist, you just have to be the poet detective that finds them! How cool. I have a passion for teaching kids about crafting words to truly say what you mean, but I don't often follow my own advice.

4
Cool, right?

Happy Friday!

xoxo,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment