Thursday, May 15, 2014

NOLA

I mentioned yesterday that I spent the weekend in New Orleans at a reading conference. I visited New Orleans briefly in college with a school group. It wasn't anything crazy, though I did get the opportunity to drink a PBR at a bar/pool hall/laundromat. #innovative

To me, planning and anticipating a trip is almost as good as going on the actual trip. When you get stressed the week before a trip, just try googling a travel guide (Bon Appetit is a go-to for me) and finding a great restaurant to go to your first night there. See? Stress gone!

Needless to say, I had all our reservations set four days before we left. Food is the best way to get to know a city, hands down.

Here are the highlights...

Beignets (and iced cafe au laits) from Cafe du Monde. Eight million people (I may be exaggerating, but probably not) waiting in line every day can't be wrong.

 Pimm's cups at Sazerac. I tried three different Pimm's cups in Nola, and this one was my fave. My research is nothing if not scientifically sound.

Roasted head of cauliflower at Domenica. The fact that there was half left by the time the cameras came out should tell you it's that good. Yes, cauliflower.

Monteleone Hotel, home of New Orleans' only revolving carousel bar. I drank my pinot noir while happily revolving around a spinning bar. I now believe that wine should be standard issue at all carousels.

My mom, me, and my brother's roommate's mom who happened to be at the same conference. Crazy right?! She was my dinner and drinks date after my mom left on Sunday :)
Oh, and dinner at Luke that night was delicious. Get the shrimp and grits.

Not pictured here, which should be a crime: Any one of the three, THREE, lunches I ate at Cochon and their deli next door. I had this kohlrabi salad with lemon yogurt dressing and spiced cashews that dances around in my dreams. I will make it my own one day and then my life will be complete. My mom and I also split their pork ribs with pickled watermelon that was just...so good. Plain and simple. We also had the Cuban sandwich and BBQ pork sandwich at their deli, coupled with the hero of the day, the mac and cheese. I wanted to rub it all over my face and...I'll stop there.

Thanks, New Orleans. You were a ton of fun.

xoxo,
E




No comments:

Post a Comment