Tuesday, July 24, 2012

DIY Jewelry Organizer

After stepping on a bag within a bag and breaking one of my favorite necklaces, I knew I needed a way to organize my jewelry that helped me see what I actually had (and kept it safe from inadvertent stomping). Pinterest to the rescue yet again! I saw a few variations, but settled on something like this. Instead of hooks, I decided to use drawer pulls/knobs, which I had seen in some other varieties.

It turned out really well, and I LOVE looking at it every time I go into my bathroom. It will probably go somewhere in my bedroom or closet in my new place, but you could definitely hang it on the wall, too. You would just have to make sure you really anchor it in there.

Supplies: frame (I used a 16" x 20" open back frame that was on sale at Michael's), fabric, wood cut to frame size (I used a piece that was about 1/2" thick), wood glue, knobs/pulls, drill, screwdriver, spray adhesive

I made this about a week ago and didn't have the presence of mind to take a lot of pictures, so...sorry about that. I know that pictures are way more cool.

1. Drill holes for knobs/pulls where you want them in the wood.
2. Spray adhesive and place fabric on the wood (press out any air bubbles). I used wood glue to glue the fabric down on the back:




3. Screw the knobs and pulls into place on the board. Once I did this and put jewelry on it, I realized I didn't like the placement anymore, so I had to McGuyver some new holes (I don't have a power drill like the bf does...) Here's the original layout I had:
I think it looks pretty good without the jewelry, but once it was on there, it didn't look very good. (Psst...don't you love that fabric! I managed to save enough for another mini project...keep scrolling!)


Here's the finished product:
Right now the board is just sitting in the frame since it's leaning against the wall. Eventually I'll need to either staple gun or wood glue it in (probably a little bit of both). I put all the knobs at the top so the longer necklaces would stay within the frame. I put earrings on the drawer pulls. Isn't it pretty? I feel like if I was lacking in art work for my walls, this could definitely pretty things up!


With my leftover fabric, I recovered my headband holder (aka a roll of paper towels + safety pins...easy, right?) and tied the ends with black satin ribbon:




I love looking at these two organizers next to each other! I'm not a naturally organized person (ask anybody who has known me for 5 minutes), but pretty organization is much more fun to keep up than boring organization!


Happy Tuesday!


xoxo,


E

No comments:

Post a Comment