Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I Carry Your Heart

I'm moving in a little less than two weeks and am so excited to rethink my decor for the new place! Since I am (like I'm sure the rest of the world, it seems) obsessed with all things Pinterest, I've been taking some DIY ideas from there to start making some new things for the new place!



I found a couple ideas for canvas art and wanted to make one for my new bathroom. I wanted to try to balance colorful and neutral, so this worked out pretty well. At first, I wanted to do something like this (seriously? $281??), but my local Michael's didn't have wooden letters small enough. This project's a little closer to this one. Still, I think this turned out well for my first try.




Here's how I did it...


Supplies needed: canvas (I used 18" x 24"), acrylic paint in various colors (including whatever color you want to be the main/non-letter color), vinyl letters (I got mine from Office Depot), and paint brushes (duh.)


Step One: Paint the canvas all crazy-like. This is the fun part! I waited a while between colors so they wouldn't get all blended.



Step Two: Once all the pretty colors are dry, put on the vinyl letters with your quote/saying/poem. I used the first lines from one of my favorite poems. (Hey, I was an English major, OK?) I didn't take any pictures of just the letters, so...

Step Three: Paint the whole thing with your dark color. Here it is with a few letters peeled off:


Step Four: Peel off the letters (I used a steak knife to help) a little before the paint dries. Here's the finished project again!


I hope you're having a great week!!

xoxo,
E



No comments:

Post a Comment