Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Ginger Crinkles

My mom is going to kill me. OK, hopefully not kill me, but I'm definitely giving up a family secret here. Last week, when I asked for my mom's ginger crinkle recipe that has been the star of our Christmas cookie line-up for years, she handed it over, but warned me, "don't tell people how easy it is!"

Well, these are just too good not to share, plus I'm probably going to lose the scrap of paper I wrote the recipe on, so it's really like I'm recording it for future generations!


Rolling in sugar gives the outside a sweet crunch.

Make sure you thoroughly stir the melted white bark...otherwise you get splurts of chocolate while trying to elegantly zig zag the cookies...see middle of picture.

Autumn-y, chewy, white chocolate-y goodness!

Ginger Crinkles
-Preheat the oven to 350.
-Mix 2/3 cup shortening an 1 cup white sugar.
-Add in 1 egg and 4 tablespoons molasses.
-Sift together 2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and gradually add to the shortening/sugar/molasses mixture.
-Roll the dough into balls (I got about 30 cookies out of one batch) and roll each ball in white sugar.
-Bake for 10-12 minutes.
-Drizzle melted white bark (candy coating) over the cookies in a zig-zag pattern.

Enjoy with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate!

xoxo,

E

No comments:

Post a Comment