Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Impulse to Schush

Now that I'm almost settled in to my new apartment (only several piles of random clutter, instead of dozens), I'm battling the impulse to schush. I wish I could spell "schush" better, but since I don't think it's an actual word, that's the best I can do. It's not pronounced like "shush", maybe that helps? It's the impulse that lovers of design and pretty things have to keep adding design and pretty things to a space. At least I hope other people have this impulse, otherwise I may have some sort of schush-ing condition.

Here's my situation:
The paint in my whole apartment is the same beige color. I actually like it, but the kitchen paint is semi-gloss, while the rest of the place is flat. The maintenance guy said it's easier to wipe down (nice for a kitchen). Since the kitchen is open to the dining space, it looks like it goes from one color to another, somewhat awkwardly:

I find myself glaring looking at it sometimes, wondering what could minimize the look. Then, I found some decal-type backsplash stickers that could maybe do the trick:

 via


What do you think? Would it look too sticker-y? I would stop it right where the paint finish changes, so would it just highlight the awkwardness of the finish shift? I want it to look like it was painted on, but since I'm renting, I don't want to actually paint. Should I resist my impulse to schush?

I'd love any thoughts...or just confirmation that others out there suffer from this same impulse to schush!

xoxo,

E

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea! I'm considering something similar in my rental.

    ReplyDelete