Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Homemade Frame

I've had a pretty hand-painted picture from Prague (holy alliteration, Batman!) since I studied abroad one summer a few years ago, but hadn't displayed it until now. Why? Because apparently street artists in Prague don't necessarily create their pieces on standard frame-sized paper. It has traveled with me through four moves and now finally has found its resting place.

I created a "frame" from a piece of wood leftover from my jewelry organizer project. Other supplies I used: acrylic paint, spray adhesive, clear gloss spray paint, and eye hooks.


 I painted the edges navy blue first, which, in hindsight I should've done last. It made covering the little bit of blue that made it on to the front of the wood hard to cover with the tangerine color.

 I painted about three coats of a bright tangerine color (really thick on the edges to cover the navy) to get an opaque look.

 Here it is drying on my balcony after attaching the painting with spray adhesive and sealing the whole thing with clear gloss spray paint. Don't you love the painting? I think the orange paint makes the blues, greens, and grays really pop.

 I attached two eye hooks to the piece of wood to help with hanging.

Finished product (not hung yet; I need to get some navy ribbon first!)...and yes I know it's a little off-center, the result of some over-zealous spray adhesive-ing.

I think I'm going to hang this picture in my bathroom to give the space a pop of color.

I hope you're having a happy week!

xoxo,

E

No comments:

Post a Comment